Tuesday, August 3, 2004

Genesis

My wife Kathy and I were on vacation, and I had gone to the motel lobby so I could chat with God for a while. I had been the Minister of Youth at Culpeper Baptist Church for several years and was happy. I loved the church and worked with a great staff. But I also loved tinkering and inventing, so I asked God "What am I here for?” I opened my Bible to Ezra. As I read, one verse jumped out of the pages and hit me between the eyes. Ezra 7:10 reads, "For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the LORD, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel."

I believe at that moment I discovered my calling. It was a calling to study and follow the way that God wants us to follow. A way of love, respect, peace, joy, and forgiveness. And it was a calling to creatively teach others to do likewise. But I was unsure what the next step should be.

No comments: