Monday, December 3, 2007

Where Two or Three are Gathered

What is a church? Is it a building on a hill with a cross stuck on top? Is it a crowd that fills an auditorium? I think we misuse the word "church" far too often. In a nutshell, I believe church is about the people of God doing His thing. Why do we complicate it so much? One scripture that speaks of the church is Matthew 18:19-20.

“I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”

This passage has often caused me to scratch my head. I believe that God is everywhere (especially in places where we think He isn't). What is Jesus talking about? One of my professors at seminary described God as having an inter-relationship with Himself. Father, Son and Holy Spirit being three personalities of one God. They are one in relationship with each other. So then, the person(ality) of God is found in relationships.

If this be the case, when I am in relationship with a brother (hanging out, eating, sharing life, etc.) is that a reflection of God?

Or, to put it another way, do people see Jesus when they see us together?

And if that is the case, what IS church really about?

No comments: