Thursday, April 23, 2009

Theme Park Utopia?

Even though I’m not a big fan of roller-coasters, I love theme parks.

At least, I think I do.

I have to remind myself of this fact every time I step into the swirling masses at the entrance gate and get sucked in to a land of “fun, food, and attractions”.

Kathy and I visited SeaWorld in Orlando last week. We had a great time, but we had one complaint. We felt there were far too many “human performers” at the shows. I came to see the majesty of Shamu, the giant killer whale, not a two hour (ok, ok, ok, five minute) video of a kid who yearns to be a SeaWorld trainer.

The last show we saw had trainers ( aka “human performers”) in brightly colored outfits bungee jumping off platforms, along with some token dolphins doing flips, and two squadrons of brightly colored parrots flying inches above our heads in the bleachers.

Simultaneously. No joke.

Talk about information overload. It was almost enough to push someone with ADD over the edge.

(For what it’s worth, I thought that having a trainer bungee cord OFF the pair of dolphins that she was surfing on top of was pretty darn impressive.)

Why do theme parks feel like we have to be entertained to the point of nausea? Why do we pay (A LOT OF) money to end up burned out? Why do we put up with food that we would typically send back to a kitchen?

Because it’s supposed to be fun?

The most enjoyable part of the day for Kathy and I was when we were by ourselves looking at an ENORMOUS walrus in an enclosure. It swam up to where we were, looked at us, and began whistling.

Yes, walruses (walri?) whistle. (Ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MZE0y_9bc )

We were spell-bound.

That moment, filled with wonder, was worth the price of admission. We didn’t plan it, and SeaWorld didn’t contrive it; we simply were blessed by it.

I guess what Disney and these other parks have yet to discover is that true joy cannot be packaged, marketed, and sold. I see lots of tired, stressed out, and generally unhappy people at these parks. Many come because they think they’ll get a boost or feel refreshed.

Me? I usually need a vacation after the vacation.

Maybe the answer is not found in theme parks, souvenirs, and lousy fast-food. Maybe true joy is found in relationships instead of “stuff”.

Where does your joy come from?


Relevant Verses

Psalm 4:7-8 You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe.

Psalm 30:11-12 You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever!

Matthew 11:28-30 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

No comments: