Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just a Moment

It was a hectic morning.

Last Sunday, I was in the early-stages of an eventually full-blown sinus infection. While I could talk, my throat wasn’t feeling too well.

To top it all off, I was getting ready to translate for a Cuban pastor who was visiting a local Methodist church. He would be preaching THREE times that morning, meaning I would be translating three times. He had clued me into what verses he’d be using, but I was still a bit nervous.

You see, for those of you who don’t know me well, I was raised in Miami by Cuban parents. I understand Spanish well enough (even though I have great difficulty speaking it with correct grammar). However, one thing that makes translation difficult for me is that my brain is wired a little funny (it’s called Central Auditory Process Disorder). In a nutshell, CAPD makes it difficult for me to hear and understand ENGLISH, let alone other languages.

Imagine a little secretary sitting in my head who listens to you asking me, “What are we eating tonight?” Imagine this secretary turning to my brain and translating it as, “When are you feeding Mike?”

That’s what I hear.

This drives my poor wife nuts.

So not only was I suffering from a sore throat, I was about to spend the next several hours translating what I thought he said from one language to another.

Oh, and we Cubans are known for talking real fast.

Several hours later, after the three services, I was convinced that God had temporarily gifted me with the ability to interpret foreign tongues. I was able to keep up with him even when he was jumping up and down in the aisles.

But that wasn’t the highlight of the morning for me.

After the last service, most of the congregation had emptied out (presumably heading for lunch). One of the choir members came down to hug the Cuban pastor. She had me share with him that she could sing like he could preach (with great passion). They then began singing the chorus of the hymn “How Great Thou Art” together; him in Spanish, her in English.

Full throttle.

It was a moment.

Realizing what I was beholding, I stood there, transfixed, and let the experience wash over me. I felt sorry for those who didn’t witness it. When it was over, I thanked God.

Starting this following Saturday (June 6th), we are going to begin exploring the concept that we’re to bloom wherever it is that we’re planted.

When we start blooming, we become more aware of God at work around us. His sweet grace becomes more evident. His purpose for our lives becomes natural.

We walk with Him, and He points things out to us along the way.

Like two voices singing one song.

And despite our circumstances and the distractions that surround us; we experience life to the fullest, peace that lasts, and joy that is contagious.

No comments: