Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 5

My family grew up with a wide assortment of animals. My first recollection of a “pet” was my dad picking up a dog from an animal shelter named “Cookie”. She apparently was given away because she had bitten somebody, but she was always a good dog to us. Cookie was a melting pot of various breeds whose main job was to keep our large backyard rodent free. Although I have no recollection of male dogs living nearby, she raised a few litters of puppies (this was before it was popular to spay your pets) following God’s decree to multiply and fill the earth. Her one weakness, however, was that she liked sleeping on the street.

She only got hit once.

This led to a trip to the vet for a broken paw. We were so worried about her (well, I was worried; I think my dad was ticked off for getting such a dumb/expensive dog). I remember the smell of the vet’s office when we went to visit her. It was an acrid aroma of antiseptic and animals. Poor Cookie was lying in a cage, her paw in a cast. I vaguely remember her thumping her tail in greeting to us as if to say, “You didn’t forget me!”

Once she got out and back on her feet, she returned to lie in the street (but probably decided to keep closer to the curb). Dad eventually gave her away.

We had cats too. And chickens (do chickens count as pets if you eventually eat them?). And rabbits. And fish. And we had birds.

For Christmas one year, I spied a large package that was done up in light blue wrapping paper decorated with Smurfs. This was the largest present I had ever seen under our tree, and I was sure it was for me. Well, it was for Mom. She got Wiku, a male cockatiel that year. Wiku had an amazing voice and would lift his wings and start singing if you wiggled your index finger up and down in front of him. He would then bow down his head and gently press the top of his head through the bars so you could scratch him. He would then either start singing again, or snap his head up and try to bite off a chunk of your finger (he could be temperamental at times).

The common denominator with all our pets was we (by “we” I mean my parents) made sure that they were fed. They were under our care, so we provided for their needs. On the fifth day, we find God creating fish for the seas and birds for the air. This corresponds with Him separating the waters to create the oceans and the skies on the second day (land animals apparently had to wait till day six).

So we have oceans full of fish and skies filled with birds, and God is there; smiling at His creation and providing for their needs.

Providing for their needs.

When Jesus shared about His Father’s care and compassion for us, He often spoke of birds and fish. Here are just two of several passages regarding these.

Matthew 7:9-11 “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.”

Luke 12:22-26 Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?”

Jesus went to great pains to describe God’s concern and provision for us. And so often we forget. We forget that the Creator of the Universe has us in mind. We focus so much on what we don’t have that we often forget what we have been given.

The fifth day of creation is a reminder that God not only is at work at creating, but He’s also at work providing. God has not forgotten you.

What are some moments in your life where you felt hopelessly in need?
How did those needs get met? Or, how are those needs getting met?

Related Verses
Genesis 1:20-23

Then God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life. Let the skies be filled with birds of every kind." So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water, and every sort of bird—each producing offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply. Let the fish fill the seas, and let the birds multiply on the earth."

And evening passed and morning came, marking the fifth day.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: