Friday, December 4, 2009

Peace on Earth

In describing an argument between two of his children regarding an object, Bill Cosby recalls the younger one screeching “MINE, MINE, MINE,” a wail that could decalcify your spinal column. He ended the argument by snatching the item from the older sibling (who was the rightful owner) and giving it to the younger (immediately silencing the shrieks). The older one protested mightily about this injustice, but Bill was unmoved. He later shared that, "The truth is that parents are not really interested in justice. They just want peace and quiet."

Ah, peace…

Peace is a state of being. A state of well-being. When you are at peace, life tends to slow down. You can savor positive experiences as exquisite delicacies. You can also weather horrible events with grace and patience.

But where does our peace come from?

Am I at peace because of my current conditions or environment? Is peace situational? Can I only find peace in a secluded beach where staff unobtrusively bring me drinks shaded by little paper umbrellas? Do I find peace when I immerse myself in tasks? What happens when I take a break? Do my beliefs bring me peace? Just because I believe in Santa doesn’t mean that I forgo Christmas shopping (or Christmas “making”). If I leave it all up to the big guy, THERE WILL BE NO PEACE on Christmas morning. That’s something you can believe in!

This second Sunday leading to Christmas is the Advent of Peace (Advent means “coming”, so we’re talking about “the Coming of Peace”). In Israel (an occupied nation at the time), the idea of peace was welcome … but nobody expected that it would come in the form of a helpless infant. This infant grew and became a man. He walked among us. He taught us the Way. And He suffered and died to purchase our peace. To regain that which had been lost since the beginning...

Peace between God and His Creation.

As we continue to watch and wait for Christmas, let us reflect on the gift of peace. While peace cannot be created or earned, it can be accepted. It is a great gift indeed.

John 14:27
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
(NLT)

Zechariah 9:9-12
Rejoice, O people of Zion! Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem!
Look, your king is coming to you. He is righteous and victorious, yet he is humble, riding on a donkey—riding on a donkey’s colt. I will remove the battle chariots from Israel and the warhorses from Jerusalem. I will destroy all the weapons used in battle, and your king will bring peace to the nations.

His realm will stretch from sea to sea and from the Euphrates River to the ends of the earth. Because of the covenant I made with you, sealed with blood, I will free your prisoners from death in a waterless dungeon. Come back to the place of safety, all you prisoners who still have hope! I promise this very day that I will repay two blessings for each of your troubles.
(NLT)

No comments: