Friday, May 28, 2010

Is God Fair part 3/Right Living

As I finished mowing my backyard a few days ago, I stopped the mower and crouched down to trim the grass surrounding the air-conditioning unit. The lawn had grown tall around it and so I began to take fistfuls of grass and pull them out (roots and all) away from the platform. After yanking out a few clumps, I had a flashback of my youth.

Many times as a child, my siblings and I would accompany my father on trips to Graceland Memorial Park where my grandfather and other relatives were laid to rest. Our voices would be stilled as we followed dad making his rounds.

Every time we’d go, my dad would squat down and methodically pull grass away from the edges of the flat headstones. He wanted the plaque to be free from the weeds that flourished in the tropical heat. I think it was one way he could remind us of those who passed before us, as well as to reflect on loved ones gone by. He was in a sense reminding himself that they were not forgotten. Pulling away at the grass as if pulling away at the cobwebs that threatened to cloud his memories.

I distinctly remember the sound of him silently pulling at the grass. The sound was identical to what I heard as I pulled the grass around my ac unit. It reminded me that death awaits us all; some sooner, some later.

And it got me thinking about fairness.

Is it fair for some people to live their lives in obedience to God, and yet never see the fruits of their labor? Entire books of the Bible discuss this dilemma at length (especially Ecclesiastes). Why live a righteous life, if the only visible result is persecution and pain? Why bother?

If indeed, this is all there is to existence, then we would have no hope. The apostle Paul mentions this in a letter to the Christians in Corinth who were being misled by some who claimed that this was all there was to life: “And if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless and you are still guilty of your sins. In that case, all who have died believing in Christ are lost! And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world. But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.”

We have hope because of Easter morning.

We also have a reason to follow right living; not to get brownie points or a “bigger mansion” in heaven, but because God wants us to live with Him NOW as well as when we pass from this life to the next.

When we focus on what others are doing (or failing to do), we take our eyes off of God and forget who He wants us to be.

It is in these times of forgetfulness that we sometimes fall into despair.

Sometimes we have to pull at the weeds. The weeds that threaten to choke our lives. The weeds that try to make us forget God’s promises.

What weeds are pulling at you this week?

Joe

Matthew 13:18-23
“Now listen to the explanation of the parable about the farmer planting seeds: The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message about the Kingdom and don’t understand it. Then the evil one comes and snatches away the seed that was planted in their hearts. The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced. The seed that fell on good soil represents those who truly hear and understand God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!”

Hebrews 11:8-16
It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going. And even when he reached the land God promised him, he lived there by faith—for he was like a foreigner, living in tents. And so did Isaac and Jacob, who inherited the same promise. Abraham was confidently looking forward to a city with eternal foundations, a city designed and built by God.

It was by faith that even Sarah was able to have a child, though she was barren and was too old. She believed that God would keep his promise. And so a whole nation came from this one man who was as good as dead—a nation with so many people that, like the stars in the sky and the sand on the seashore, there is no way to count them.

All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

1 Corinthians 15:12-20
But tell me this—since we preach that Christ rose from the dead, why are some of you saying there will be no resurrection of the dead? For if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, then all our preaching is useless, and your faith is useless. And we apostles would all be lying about God—for we have said that God raised Christ from the grave. But that can’t be true if there is no resurrection of the dead. And if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless and you are still guilty of your sins. In that case, all who have died believing in Christ are lost! And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world.

Psalm 73
Truly God is good to Israel, to those whose hearts are pure. But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone. For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong.

They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for!

They scoff and speak only evil; in their pride they seek to crush others. They boast against the very heavens, and their words strut throughout the earth. And so the people are dismayed and confused, drinking in all their words.

“What does God know?” they ask. “Does the Most High even know what’s happening?” Look at these wicked people— enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply. Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.

If I had really spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people. So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is! Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked.

Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors. When you arise, O Lord, you will laugh at their silly ideas as a person laughs at dreams in the morning.

Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant— I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.

Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever. Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you.

But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.

NLTse

No comments: