Friday, June 25, 2010

Poison Ivy

I spent this past Tuesday afternoon kayaking with my friend Harry who lives on the other side of Lake Pelham in Culpeper. He’s only about a mile and a half away as the crow flies, but to drive to his place is a ten-mile trip through town. Harry always has the itch to go out on the water. We’ve talked about going many a time, but finally set a time and date.

Even before we set out, we saw some amazing things. Not fifty feet away, there was an adult white swan with two young dull grey cygnets. At first, you could only see one, paddling around dad. The other, it turns out, was hidden from view because it was actually sitting on dad’s back. The swan had his wings tilted up to form a kind of safety cage for the youngster.

From there, we paddled out on the lake and enjoyed a peaceful few hours. While it was in the mid-nineties outside, it didn’t feel too bad on the water. We had a gentle breeze that helped keep our cool. That and drinking LOTS of water.

At one point, Harry asked if I had ever crossed under Route 29 to get to the pond on the other side. I had seen that little pond often as I drove back home from Charlottesville, but hadn’t realized that it was accessible. To get to it, we had to pass under the road via a concrete culvert. Harry warned that there might be poison ivy hanging down, but we’d check it out anyway. It turned out that the entrance was clear, so we paddled into the gloom. The water gently lapped against the boat and the walls, reflecting every sound we made. I kept waiting for a monster to pop up and devour us, but we made it to the other side without incident.

The small pond was actually was bigger than I initially thought. After circling around the center, we paddled to the far corner and began following a small creek upstream. We were completely surrounded by the woods. The canopy overhead protected us from the hot sun, and the woods to our right and left swallowed up any noise coming from the highway. I couldn’t believe that this gem was so close to where we lived. I had earlier told Harry that we were blessed to live so close to nature, but now I was truly spellbound. We followed the creek up as far as the kayaks could go, then turned around and began to head back.

It was on our way back that I brushed against what I believed was some poison ivy. Actually, brushed isn’t the right word. I was building up some speed to get over a sunken tree trunk and ended up way too far to the right; ending up in a large outcropping of a certain three-leafed plant. My entire right arm was engulfed with it as I pushed to get away.

I was not happy at this point.

Looking for a rash, I noted that my arm was red, but that could have been from the hours spent in the sun. The effects of poison ivy sometimes don’t show up for a while, so I experienced some serious paranoia on the rest of the trip back to Harry’s. When I got home I washed my arm several times with a degreasing soap and hoped for the best.

In the end, it wasn’t poison ivy, and I am very thankful. I had a friend who unknowingly made a necklace from the leaves when she was a child and almost ended up dying because her throat swelled up. They may be pretty, but you’d be wise to heed the old adage “leaves of three, let it be.” Had I been more careful, I would have enjoyed the trip back better instead of wondering if I got exposed.

Why are we so prone to ignore warnings? Time and time again, we are given access to wisdom, but so often we ignore it. We sometimes even get angry when confronted with the truth! Why do we let our pride control us so often?

What misperceptions have held you back from living the life God has called you to live? What warnings have you ignored? What do you need do to move forward on your journey?

Joe

Proverbs 4
My children, listen when your father corrects you. Pay attention and learn good judgment, for I am giving you good guidance. Don’t turn away from my instructions. For I, too, was once my father’s son, tenderly loved as my mother’s only child.

My father taught me, “Take my words to heart. Follow my commands, and you will live. Get wisdom; develop good judgment. Don’t forget my words or turn away from them. Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you. Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.

If you prize wisdom, she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will honor you. She will place a lovely wreath on your head; she will present you with a beautiful crown.” My child, listen to me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. I will teach you wisdom’s ways and lead you in straight paths. When you walk, you won’t be held back; when you run, you won’t stumble.

Take hold of my instructions; don’t let them go. Guard them, for they are the key to life. Don’t do as the wicked do, and don’t follow the path of evildoers. Don’t even think about it; don’t go that way. Turn away and keep moving.

For evil people can’t sleep until they’ve done their evil deed for the day. They can’t rest until they’ve caused someone to stumble. They eat the food of wickedness and drink the wine of violence! The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like total darkness. They have no idea what they are stumbling over.

My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body.

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Avoid all perverse talk; stay away from corrupt speech. Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.

NLTse

No comments: