Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Stack of Blocks

When my parents purchased a home in the Westwood Lakes sub-division of Miami in the late seventies, they soon planned and began construction on an addition to the three-bedroom house. They practically doubled the square footage of the residence by adding a large family room and a master bedroom with a large walk-in closet. We needed the space because the other addition (my sister Susie) rounded out the family to a total of two adults and six kids under one roof.

Tight quarters indeed.

With the construction of a new addition came the need for storing copious amounts of building supplies. As the addition was to be fabricated using cement blocks, we had stacks of them in our large backyard. For a kid, these stacks were enormous. They were several feet high, wide and deep. We enjoyed clambering up and around these blocks. I remember my brother jumping off the stacks onto the ground below, however I already suffered from early onset acrophobia and was too scared to jump on my own. It was just too high, and alas, I was too small.

Having a flash of inspiration (or was it ADHD?), I ran inside the house and emerged with a large bed sheet and a length of rope. If I couldn’t jump off on my own, surely I could jump off with the aid of a parachute…

My dad fortunately stepped in before I hurt myself. He explained that my parachute wouldn’t operate correctly, as I had designed it. As I sat on the blocks, he began to show me how the chute should be packed. He then used bits of rope and even began using long stems of thick grass to weave together a “proper” parachute harness. He even fashioned a ripcord for me to pull that would release the parachute.

When he was done, I didn’t jump. I was so enamored with the parachute he designed; I didn’t want to ruin it by using it. So I clambered down the blocks and spent the rest of my playtime running around with a folded sheet tied to a harness made of ropes and weeds. I vividly remember being extra-careful as I removed the pieces in the hallway bathroom as I prepared to take a bath. I treasure that memory because when you are one of six kids, you don’t get too much one-on-one time with your dad.

In retrospect, I suspect he spent that time with me to prevent me from doing something that would hurt me. He knew my fascination with all thing military, and having a “real” parachute on my back would hold greater allure to me than jumping off a stack of blocks.

Our parents (with all their shortcomings) knew us better than we thought. How much more does our Creator know us?

What situations have you found yourself in where the option you wanted is not the option you really needed? Has someone ever prevented you from doing something just because of their time spent with you? How well does God know you?

1 Corinthians 10:1-13
I don’t want you to forget, dear brothers and sisters, about our ancestors in the wilderness long ago. All of them were guided by a cloud that moved ahead of them, and all of them walked through the sea on dry ground. In the cloud and in the sea, all of them were baptized as followers of Moses. All of them ate the same spiritual food, and all of them drank the same spiritual water. For they drank from the spiritual rock that traveled with them, and that rock was Christ. Yet God was not pleased with most of them, and their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave evil things as they did, or worship idols as some of them did. As the Scriptures say, “The people celebrated with feasting and drinking, and they indulged in pagan revelry.” And we must not engage in sexual immorality as some of them did, causing 23,000 of them to die in one day.

Nor should we put Christ to the test, as some of them did and then died from snakebites. And don’t grumble as some of them did, and then were destroyed by the angel of death. These things happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us who live at the end of the age.

If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.


Luke 12:22-34
Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?

“Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

“And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.

“So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.

“Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

NLTse

No comments: