Friday, August 20, 2010

Liar Liar

I knew someone during my college years that could really spin a tall tale. I mean, this guy could flat out invent stuff. I wasn’t the only gullible one around either. At one point, he got several of us hooked on the idea of renting a “friend’s” dream house together. This house was supposedly located in Coral Gables (the glamorous part of Miami), had multiple bedrooms, a pool and a TENNIS COURT (I’m not into tennis…but come on, a TENNIS COURT). His “friend” needed a house sitter, and was supposedly open to us renting the place for a year. After hearing this description, we were drooling all over ourselves at this opportunity. You see, most of us were still living at home, and this seemed to be the golden ticket to good times.

Our “friend” eventually led us on a wild goose chase all over Coral Gables looking to find where it was supposedly located. As the afternoon wore on, it began to dawn on me that there was no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. Conveniently, the house was “no longer available” a few days later. Any trust I had evaporated at that point, and I nursed a grudge against him. One of my friends (and fellow “almost-roommate”) shared with me that he thought I shouldn’t be too hard on him. “He just does it to get attention, you know.” I disagreed. I wanted justice and I wanted to expose him as a fraud.

Time went on, and he kept right on lying. I bit my tongue and said nothing, but anger seethed within me anytime I set eyes on him, heard his voice, or even just heard his name mentioned. I’m sure I prayed plenty of times for God to change him, to make him come clean. Instead of changing him, however, God started to change me.

I began to see him as God sees him; through eyes of mercy and grace. I even began to be able to tolerate his presence without grinding my teeth. The biggest miracle of all?

We became friends. Good friends.

He never stopped lying, but I didn’t care anymore. I saw him for who he really was; somebody who God loved.

Last week, I wrote about wrestling with what to do about people who hold a grudge against us.

Today, the shoe’s on the other foot. As we go through life and endure harsh and unfair treatment from others, do we ever lose track that God loves them as well? When we cry out for justice, are we really asking for revenge? What has been your experience with praying for others; people who have mistreated you? Did they change? Did you?


Related Verses
Matthew 5:10-16

God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

“God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way.

“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Mark 11:22-25
Then Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours. But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.”

Romans 12:9-21
Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all! Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the LORD. Instead, “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.” Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.

NLTse

No comments: