Friday, May 20, 2011

The North Star

Kathy and I recently visited Paris. I mean, we were in the neighborhood and thought, “Why not check it out?”

Paris, Virginia (population 51) is comprised of an antique shop, an inn/restaurant, a church, and a street lined with nice houses. I should add that we saw many expensive cars parked out front of these nice houses.

We were in the neighborhood because we were visiting a little gem of a state park called Sky Meadows.

Sky Meadows (on Route 17 a few miles north of Delaplane, Virginia) is known for wide expanses as well as forested trails. The wide expanses are taken advantage of by local astronomers once a month. Kathy and I have been to one of their “star parties” which usually take place on the first Saturday of the month during the warmer months of the year.

On May 7, 2011, the Northern Virginia Astronomy Club hosted Astronomy Day 2011. A field of telescopes sprouted up throughout the course of the afternoon in eager anticipation for nightfall and the eye-popping clarity of the rarified air (that is, when it’s not raining or overcast as it was for most of that afternoon). During the daylight hours, various lectures and demonstrations were given…if anything to speed up the clock till nightfall.

Kathy and I happened to catch a demonstration concerning the earth and its position in the solar system. If you watch a time-lapse movie of the night sky, you’ll see a parade of constellations, and one barely moving point.

Polaris, or the North Star is almost exactly lined up with the earth’s axis of rotation. That’s why it doesn’t seem to move. If you can find the Little Dipper, you can find Polaris. If you find Polaris, you can be certain where north lies.

The North Star has been used for navigation for this very reason for millennia. Countless sailors on the open seas have staked their lives on being able to find a tiny point of light in the darkness.

It is used because it is trusted and true.

The word “true” gets tossed around quite a bit. Can something that is “true” shift over time? Is what is “true” for me necessarily “true” for others?

Is “truth” a series of statements of doctrine, or is it more than that? I believe truth is found in the person of Jesus Christ. I believe that through His death and resurrection, He made it possible for all to reconnect with God.

For that reason, I see the person of Jesus Christ as not only the King of Kings and Lord of lords, but my guiding star. In a stormy midnight sea, I need not be afraid because I hear His voice which always leads my soul to safe harbor.

Joe

Part Three of our Vision:
“We stand for truth. The Truth that shouted "It is finished!" and passed into death, only to reclaim life three days later. We believe that because of the Cross and only because of the Cross, broken people like us can reconnect with God. And we believe that this reconnection is only the beginning of true life. God is making all things new. We believe that God's vision of heaven, a kingdom of reconnection and restoration, starts here and will one day culminate with the return of Jesus. Everything will be restored to the way things were created to be. That longing in our hearts that something just isn't right in this world will vanish along with death, pain, sorrow, and isolation.”


Related Verses
Psalm 25

O LORD, I give my life to you. I trust in you, my God! Do not let me be disgraced, or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat. No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced, but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others.

Show me the right path, O LORD; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. Remember, O LORD, your compassion and unfailing love, which you have shown from long ages past.

Do not remember the rebellious sins of my youth. Remember me in the light of your unfailing love, for you are merciful, O LORD. The LORD is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray. He leads the humble in doing right, teaching them his way.

The LORD leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands. For the honor of your name, O LORD, forgive my many, many sins.

Who are those who fear the LORD? He will show them the path they should choose. They will live in prosperity, and their children will inherit the land. The LORD is a friend to those who fear him. He teaches them his covenant.

My eyes are always on the LORD, for he rescues me from the traps of my enemies. Turn to me and have mercy, for I am alone and in deep distress. My problems go from bad to worse. Oh, save me from them all!

Feel my pain and see my trouble. Forgive all my sins. See how many enemies I have and how viciously they hate me! Protect me! Rescue my life from them! Do not let me be disgraced, for in you I take refuge. May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you. O God, ransom Israel from all its troubles.

NLTse


John 8:31-36
Then Jesus turned to the Jews who had claimed to believe in him. “If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you.”

Surprised, they said, “But we're descendants of Abraham. We've never been slaves to anyone. How can you say, ‘The truth will free you'?”

Jesus said, “I tell you most solemnly that anyone who chooses a life of sin is trapped in a dead-end life and is, in fact, a slave. A slave is a transient, who can't come and go at will. The Son, though, has an established position, the run of the house. So if the Son sets you free, you are free through and through.


John 18:33-38
Pilate went back into the palace and called for Jesus. He said, “Are you the ‘King of the Jews'?”

Jesus answered, “Are you saying this on your own, or did others tell you this about me?”

Pilate said, “Do I look like a Jew? Your people and your high priests turned you over to me. What did you do?”

“My kingdom,” said Jesus, “doesn't consist of what you see around you. If it did, my followers would fight so that I wouldn't be handed over to the Jews. But I'm not that kind of king, not the world's kind of king.”

Then Pilate said, “So, are you a king or not?”

Jesus answered, “You tell me. Because I am King, I was born and entered the world so that I could witness to the truth. Everyone who cares for truth, who has any feeling for the truth, recognizes my voice.”

Pilate said, “What is truth?”

Then he went back out to the Jews and told them, “I find nothing wrong in this man.”

The Message

No comments: