Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Unity in Diversity

A man was shipwrecked and he was able to find his way to an island. He lived there alone for ten years. Finally a ship came to his rescue. His rescuers saw three huts that he had constructed and they were puzzled by that. They asked him if he were alone on the island and he answered that he was. Then, “What was this hut used for?” they asked. “I live there.” he replied. “What was the second hut used for?” they asked. “Oh, that’s where I go to church.” was his answer. “And the third?” they queried. “Hmmph! That’s where I used to go to church.”

Working in a variety of churches over the past twelve years has given me a little perspective when it comes to what it means to be part of a church versus what it means to be part of the Church. A church is a local body of believers that meets together to grow spiritually and expand the impact of the Kingdom of God. The Church is the kinship between all these churches. The Church is every believer working towards the same goal. It is referred to “The Bride of Christ” in the Bible. Again and again, unity is stressed. Unity not just within the walls of our faith communities; but encompassing those of others as well.

Jesus said that He would return one day for His Bride. I don’t think He had a harem of churches in mind.

The River will be sharing a joint service this coming Saturday (January 31st) at 6pm with Mosaic Church. Why? Because we are members of one body under Christ. All churches do things differently, but we’ve been given the same Spirit. This will be an opportunity for diversity of form to intersect unity in function. I’m excited about what we’ll learn from each other.

Mosaic Church meets at 102 South Blue Ridge Avenue in Culpeper. Hope to see you there!

Joe


Questions to Ponder

When I hear the word “church” what do I think? When I see people from a variety of churches working together, what do I feel? How would the Kingdom of God look like if churches did more stuff together as opposed to separately?

Related Verses

John 13:34-35
“So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

Ephesians 4:1-6
Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace. For there is one body and one Spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future. There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father, who is over all and in all and living through all.

1 Corinthians 3:1-9
Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready, for you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world? When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world?
After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building.

No comments: