Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Anti-Religion

I was raised in a very religious household.

We went to a service EVERY Sunday without fail. Every Sunday that is, with one exception. One time, when my dad had taken us out camping in the Florida Keys, they only had a Protestant service within walking distance. My mom wasn’t exactly thrilled when she found out that I had attended a Baptist service, but apparently not too much damage was done. At least for the time being.

She told us we were doing our part for God. He gave us life and everything else, so the least we could sacrifice was an hour a week to honor Him.
That, AND follow the Ten Commandments.

I don’t know if my mom still keeps the china plate hanging in the house, but it still hangs in my memory. It was a plain white plate, with a golden edge. It listed the Ten Big Ones in somewhat plain English.

Over and over, she would state that we needed to live the “Christian life”. In other words, “follow these rules and you’ll do fine”. But I wasn’t fine.
I experienced a good deal of paranoia in this “system”. My spiritual life depended on a very tenuous course of action. You follow the rules; God loves you. You break the rules long enough, you go to hell. This yo-yo spirituality lasted for years.

Not exactly what I’d call “Good News.”

Then I met Jesus one day and all this changed.

My life turned when I finally gave in and surrendered my life to Him. It was the beginning of a new relationship. I was through with religion. I finally understood why Jesus had to die on a cross and why He had to rise from the dead. With that in mind, I put all my faith on that two-thousand year old piece of wood. He achieved what I never could. Instead of trying to earn love from a capricious higher being by doing a set of good works (while avoiding the bad ones), I discovered that all God wanted from me was … everything. I discovered that He was personal and intimate. I found out that He really wanted to live life with me.

That He loved me.

That thanks to the cross, I was forgiven for my many failings.

My life now is different than it was before. Whereas I used to fret about where I stood with my Creator, I now wake up with hope and go to sleep with peace. I am learning what it means to walk with God. I am seeing Him at work, building a Kingdom unlike the world has ever experienced. And I see Him at work (when I let Him) remaking me; not into a mindless robot or devotee, but He is creating ME. Who I am supposed to be. Finding my place in His plan. I see others on this journey. I see people connecting to this Savior, this Kingdom.

And that’s what I call the “Good News.”

Questions to Ponder
Think of an event or relationship that changed your life. How has your life been shaped by that encounter? Like ripples long after a pebble has disappeared beneath the waves, does your life still reflect that moment? Why or why not?

Related Verses

Psalm 96
Sing a new song to the LORD!
Let the whole earth sing to the LORD!
Sing to the LORD; praise his name.
Each day proclaim the good news that he saves.
Publish his glorious deeds among the nations.
Tell everyone about the amazing things he does.
Great is the LORD! He is most worthy of praise!
He is to be feared above all gods.
The gods of other nations are mere idols,
but the LORD made the heavens!
Honor and majesty surround him;
strength and beauty fill his sanctuary.
O nations of the world, recognize the LORD;
recognize that the LORD is glorious and strong.
Give to the LORD the glory he deserves!
Bring your offering and come into his courts.
Worship the LORD in all his holy splendor.
Let all the earth tremble before him.
Tell all the nations, “The LORD reigns!”
The world stands firm and cannot be shaken.
He will judge all peoples fairly.
Let the heavens be glad, and the earth rejoice!
Let the sea and everything in it shout his praise!
Let the fields and their crops burst out with joy!
Let the trees of the forest rustle with praise
before the LORD, for he is coming!
He is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with justice,
and the nations with his truth.

Isaiah 61:1-3
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me,
for the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
and to proclaim that captives will be released
and prisoners will be freed.
He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the LORD’s favor has come,
and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies.
To all who mourn in Israel,
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the LORD has planted for his own glory.

John 9:24-25
So for the second time (the religious leaders) called in the man who had been blind and told him, “God should get the glory for this, because we know this man Jesus is a sinner.”
“I don’t know whether he is a sinner,” the man replied. “But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!”

No comments: