Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Do We Worship a Vending Machine?

In the library break room where I work, there sits a vending machine. It’s one of those all-in-one deals in which you can get chips, candy, gum, or soda. Temptation calls out to us from behind the Plexiglas, so whenever we give in to our sugar cravings, we follow the unwritten rule of the machine ... do not feed it bills lest they disappear forevermore. Beyond that little quirk, it keeps us happy. We supply silver offerings and it releases sugary delights.

It’s quite predictable: money in, food out.

I got a fascinating reply from a friend of mine last week regarding my last posting. It was in response to my conversation with a day laborer named Jesus who praises God whether or not he finds a job on a given day. My friend wrote me: “This answers, in some ways, the question I've always asked when people tell me why they believe in God: "What is the difference between your good fortune and your faith?"”

Wow. What an awesome question!

Do some of us believe that we’re worshiping a vending machine? Is our faith tied up in what God has done for us lately? Do we praise God because we have money, health, success, family, etcetera, and are happy as a result of our blessings? Or happy that SOMEDAY we’re going to GET something? The vending machine god makes us happy if we feel our petitions are not only heard, but answered as we wish. Like a genie in a bottle.

If our vending machine breaks down and refuses to give us our goodies, the owner get’s it fixed. Do we sometimes feel that God needs some repair work done? I mean, we pray, we give, we serve … are we waiting for a payoff? Is that what heaven’s supposed to be?

I finally get my peanut m&m’s?

The Kingdom of God is not about me.

It’s about what God can do through me. It’s about relationships. It’s about God changing me so that I start to look like Him. So I start acting like Him. So I start having compassion like Him. It’s about yielding our lives to God, “Here I am; do what you wish.” It’s about finding hope, peace, and joy DESPITE our circumstances.

The apostle Paul of Tarsus wrote: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:12-13)

That’s the difference between faith and good-fortune to me.


Related Verses

James 4:1-3
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Colossians 3:1-17
Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.
So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming. You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized, slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.
Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.

Job 1:13-22
One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting at the oldest brother’s house, a messenger arrived at Job’s home with this news: “Your oxen were plowing, with the donkeys feeding beside them, when the Sabeans raided us. They stole all the animals and killed all the farmhands. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”
While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “The fire of God has fallen from heaven and burned up your sheep and all the shepherds. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”
While he was still speaking, a third messenger arrived with this news: “Three bands of Chaldean raiders have stolen your camels and killed your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”
While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “Your sons and daughters were feasting in their oldest brother’s home. Suddenly, a powerful wind swept in from the wilderness and hit the house on all sides. The house collapsed, and all your children are dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”
Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship. He said,
“I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The LORD gave me what I had, and the LORD has taken it away. Praise the name of the LORD!”
In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.

Job 2:9-10
His wife said to him, “Are you still trying to maintain your integrity? Curse God and die.”
But Job replied, “You talk like a foolish woman. Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?” So in all this, Job said nothing wrong.

No comments: