Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Trails to You

Matt, David and myself completed the Old Rag hike a few weeks ago.

Maybe I should say survived, instead.

David (who is part mountain goat), zipped on ahead of us on the way up. Matt and I, not being as fit, just took our time as we slowly made our way up the path. When we finally made it to the rock scramble a “little” ways before the peak, we realized that the path disappeared. From this point onward, we had to keep our eyes open for trail blazes.

Trail blazes are painted 2” x 6” rectangles that adorn trees or rocks to show you which direction to take. Sometimes following trail blazes is counter-intuitive. Like when you’re going UP a mountain and the blaze tells you to go downhill. At one point, I thought we were following a blaze, but ended up completing a circle and having to backtrack. I’m used to seeing them on trees, so imagine my surprise when I came upon them blazed upon boulders.

A tumultuous sea of boulders.

However, every time we passed a trail blaze, we were that much closer to our prize. Life is like that.

We hit a series of progressions in just about everything we do. Even our journey with God has trail blazes that we can look back and contemplate how far we have come (and still have to go). Where do you find yourself in your journey with God? Can you see the next trail blaze? Where does it lead?

No comments: