Thursday, July 16, 2009

Waiting

A few weeks into our church’s homework assignment to plant seeds into soil and wait for them to grow, I’ve witnessed an interesting phenomena.

My wife’s seedling (planted in a pot of good soil and exposed to sunlight on our front step) sprouted and grew about a half inch.

And it has stayed that height for the last week.

It’s green and has its little solar collectors (leaves) out, but it doesn’t seem to be growing anymore.

Ever feel like that?

Sometimes we feel stuck, and no matter how much we try watering ourselves, feeding ourselves and sitting in the light, we feel like we’re spinning our wheels.

We even get upset. “Why can’t I move on?”

But sometimes all we can do is just keep on watering, keep on eating, and keep staying in the sun (with sun block on of course).

Sometimes there are things taking place unseen, below the surface.

Sometimes we ARE changing; it’s just we’re not aware of it.

Job was a man who had many questions for God. He wondered why bad things happened to good people (especially someone like himself).

God answered him in the end with questions of His own.

Job came to the realization that his story was not yet finished.

He realized that there was stuff going on that he never dreamed of.

He realized that God had not forgotten him.

In Luke 12:6-7 Jesus posed the question “What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.”

What questions do we have for God?

How long have we waited for an answer?

What does it mean to me that I am important to God?

(Thank you Rob Bell Jr. for the insight on Job!)

Joe

Relevant Scriptures

The entire book of Job is a masterpiece; I encourage you to read it! Here are a few excerpts…

Job 31:1-6
“I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust at a young woman. For what has God above chosen for us? What is our inheritance from the Almighty on high? Isn’t it calamity for the wicked and misfortune for those who do evil? Doesn’t he see everything I do and every step I take? “Have I lied to anyone or deceived anyone? Let God weigh me on the scales of justice, for he knows my integrity.”

Job 38:1-7
Then the LORD answered Job from the whirlwind: “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them. “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Job 42:1-6
Then Job replied to the LORD: “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you.
You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me. You said, ‘Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.’ I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.”

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: