Thursday, November 12, 2009

Prayers for El Salvador

Rambo does not drink coffee.

He told me a while back that he doesn’t because of health issues. It doesn’t sit well with his digestion.

I usually find him around one of the local gas stations, waiting for work like everyone else. He stands out because he’s usually dressed in battered camouflage fatigues. First time I met him, I asked him his name and he simply shrugged and replied in Spanish, “Everyone calls me Rambo.” So Rambo it was.

I see him often, and ask how he’s doing. He usually talks about how little work there is to be had. I reply that there MUST be some good things that happened in the past week (this either brightens his outlook on life or royally annoys him; I never know for sure).

Two days ago, I ran into Rambo and a few of friends. I was down to my last container of coffee and cheerfully greeted them. They were not as animated as they usually are; I could tell something was out of place. Rambo was the first to speak. He shared about the mudslides in El Salvador; the brutal aftermath of Hurricane Ida.

“They need so many supplies. Nothing is being done for them.”

What could I say to this? I felt deflated. We discussed the needs for a few minutes, and I said I would try to find out what relief agencies are doing to help. What good would that do, I thought? Find some facts on the internet. Share it with them later. Whoopee. Good job, Joe.

Well, yesterday, I found out that Virginia Baptists are responding to the emergency in El Salvador.

“Raúl Santamaría, a native of El Salvador and pastor of Tabernáculo Biblico Bautista Virginia, a BGAV church start in Ashburn, is coordinating relief efforts among Latino churches in Virginia and planning to lead a response team from his church to the affected area. The purpose of the trip is to assess current and future needs and to distribute items of relief. The team will be ministering in connection with the Tabernáculo Biblico Bautista in San Salvador, El Salvador.”

I found out that churches are invited to collect clothing items this Sunday (November 15th), which will be transported to Fredericksburg this Tuesday (November 17th).

“Pastor Raúl and the team will take the collected items with them as they travel to El Salvador. Items listed are to be distributed to all ages. They are looking for jeans, slacks, shorts, skirts, dresses, t-shirts, short-sleeved shirts and shoes (tennis, deck, sandals). All items should be in good condition and lightweight in nature as this is a tropical climate. All sizes are needed.”

In conjunction with the gathering of clothes, The River will offer a prayer service for those affected by this disaster.

Please keep El Salvador in your prayers. Interestingly, “El Salvador” is Spanish for “The Savior”.

Jesus said that when you clothe another, you are clothing Him.

Let us clothe “El Salvador.”

No comments: