Friday, November 6, 2009

Walkin'

It was the winter of 1999 and I had experienced a great first semester at seminary. I passed my five classes, was active at my new church, had a good group of new friends (why do seminaries seem to attract weird people?), and was working two jobs. Through all this madness, I also managed to find a girlfriend. I looked forward to coming to Miami to hang out with my family and friends, and to celebrate Christmas and New Years 2000.

I got home, ready for a frantic week of social activity, and got sick.

Really sick.

Sick, sick, sick.

I was so sick that I was bedridden for several days.

I have my theories as to what happened, but the one that really sticks out is that my body couldn’t take it anymore. I had experienced a brutal schedule and my body was in survival mode. As soon as my schedule let up, my body decided that it was time to recuperate.

So I was on a forced bed rest to give my body and mind a chance to heal.
With all that we go through, why don’t we take time apart more often to avoid the crashes?

ESPECIALLY after we experience success?

Times that I have been my lowest have usually followed mountain-top experiences. We find similar occurrences all over the Bible. Something amazing happens, and then the participants get pummeled by circumstances. Moses, David, Elijah … and that’s just a few.

We have this habit of soaring like an eagle, then plummeting like a lead duck.

I, for one, don’t like drops (I don’t exactly enjoy being flung up in the air either).

What’s the answer to keeping a level keel?

Walking.

Jesus did a lot of it. If you look at His life, He didn’t ride a rollercoaster of emotions.

His life was a steady walk.

He knew His mission and fulfilled the life His Father placed before Him.

He walked with His Father.

His life was consumed with the reality of a dual existence. He lived life among us, but He also lived with His Father. He would take time away from us to walk with Dad.
We become who we spend time with.

My challenge this week isn’t to pray to God every day for 30 minutes, or to serve others, or even to hang out with other believers.

My challenge is to carve some time out of your busy schedule and to hang out with God. Take a drive down a lonely road. Sit in a field, or by a lake, or in your garage. Walk around your neighborhood at six in the morning (or nine at night).

Whatever it takes.

To be still.

Genesis 5:21-24
When Enoch was 65 years old, he became the father of Methuselah. After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years, and he had other sons and daughters. Enoch lived 365 years, walking in close fellowship with God. Then one day he disappeared, because God took him.

Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!

A river brings joy to the city of our God, the sacred home of the Most High. God dwells in that city; it cannot be destroyed. From the very break of day, God will protect it. The nations are in chaos, and their kingdoms crumble! God’s voice thunders, and the earth melts! The LORD of Heaven’s Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress.

Come, see the glorious works of the LORD: See how he brings destruction upon the world. He causes wars to end throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and snaps the spear; he burns the shields with fire.

“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” The LORD of Heaven’s Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress.

Luke 4:38-44
After leaving the synagogue that day, Jesus went to Simon’s home, where he found Simon’s mother-in-law very sick with a high fever. “Please heal her,” everyone begged. Standing at her bedside, he rebuked the fever, and it left her. And she got up at once and prepared a meal for them.

As the sun went down that evening, people throughout the village brought sick family members to Jesus. No matter what their diseases were, the touch of his hand healed every one. Many were possessed by demons; and the demons came out at his command, shouting, “You are the Son of God!” But because they knew he was the Messiah, he rebuked them and refused to let them speak.

Early the next morning Jesus went out to an isolated place. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them. But he replied, “I must preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God in other towns, too, because that is why I was sent.” So he continued to travel around, preaching in synagogues throughout Judea.


Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

No comments: