Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Power of Friendship

My brother and I first met Danny and Kenny one day during our elementary years. They were visiting their grandmother who lived down the block from us and we happened to run into each other. The bond was immediate and we became fast friends.

Through the years, we shared many adventures and got through a few tough scrapes. We would open up the manhole cover in the corner of our backyard and watch the roaches dart away from the light. We'd play G.I. Joe and hang out in our tree house (aka “the fort”). We'd go out on their grandparent's boat (with their grandfather at the helm). Or, we might go over to their house and play Nintendo.

We knew each time we saw them that there was adventure in store for all of us.

Good friends do that.

As I made my rounds this morning, I ran into my friend Bennie. I grumbled (kinda sorta) about the weight of the coffee in my shoulder bag as I shifted the weight from one shoulder to the other. A comment was made about how this burden lessens with each blessing given and I was hit with the reality of how we bless each other through friendship and through fellowship.

Through fellowship, we walk with each other, we bless each other, we inspire each other, and we carry each other's burdens. If our times of devotion with God are extremely important, our times of fellowship with one another should also be held in highest esteem.

“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”
Jesus replied, “ ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:36-40)

When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, He said there were two: love God, and love each other.

Fellowship is a very spiritual act. We are walking alongside those who have been created in God's image.

A shared walk is precious time indeed.

Joe


1 Samuel 18:1-4
After David had finished talking with Saul, he met Jonathan, the king’s son. There was an immediate bond of love between them, and they became the best of friends. From that day on Saul kept David with him and wouldn’t let him return home. And Jonathan made a solemn pact with David, because he loved him as he loved himself. Jonathan sealed the pact by taking off his robe and giving it to David, together with his tunic, sword, bow, and belt.

1 Samuel 20:16-17
So Jonathan made a solemn pact with David, saying, “May the LORD destroy all your enemies!” And Jonathan made David reaffirm his vow of friendship again, for Jonathan loved David as he loved himself.

John 15:9-17
“I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other.
(NLT)

No comments: