Friday, February 5, 2010

Thin Ice

“What is truth?” Pilate asked.

I stare out as flurries swirl outside my office window. Some sink like lead while others dance about on eddies of air currents that flow around our house. Off in the distance I can see strands of trees and a tiny glimpse of Lake Pelham. The surface might freeze over during the course of the next few days.

Frozen lakes look amazing!

After a cold spell a few weeks back, Kathy and I went to Mountain Run Lake a few miles away from home. We marveled over how far the lake had frozen over. There were a lot of Canadian geese as well as other assorted waterfowl along with a very confused looking seagull (Wait… was I supposed to take a left or a right when I left Daytona Beach?). They all seemed to adapt well enough (watching them land on the stuff was hilarious), but we ourselves were only willing to tentatively step on the ice a few inches from the shore.

To ensure safety on ice, you need to take in account a lot of variables: What is the air temperature? How long has it been below freezing? How thick is the ice? Is there water flowing beneath the ice? Is the water salty? How deep is the water? What exactly do I want to do on the ice? Do you simply want to take a stroll or do you want to drive your pickup to the other side?

Testing ice is one thing. But how do we test truth?

What is truth?

What happens when people make competing claims about truth? What happens when these competing claims about truth destroy relationships?

When Solomon, the son of King David, passed away, his son, Rehoboam, took over. He decided to posture himself as an iron-fisted dictator to intimidate the rebellious northern part of his realm. The plan backfired and the northern kingdom of Israel seceded from David and Solomon’s southern kingdom of Judah (which contained Jerusalem). Like a family squabble gone horribly wrong, both sides squared off against each other for centuries.

Over time, Israel created their own worship customs and even created a place within their own territory to offer sacrifices. Throughout the years Israel became known Samaria, which was repeatedly invaded. Other people groups were resettled there, and the existing populace intermarried with them. As a result, the people of Judah looked upon their neighbors as half-breeds.

The people of Samaria (Samaritans) believed that they possessed truth. The people of Judah (Jews) believed that they possessed truth.

What is truth?

As Jesus was walking through Samaria one day, He broke many social norms. He was the embodiment of purity, and yet His love for humanity proved Him to be no respecter of blind traditions. He spoke with a woman who was not only a Samaritan, but had been married several times. She was an outcast even among her own people.

“Sir,” the woman said, “you must be a prophet. So tell me, why is it that you Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place of worship, while we Samaritans claim it is here at Mount Gerizim, where our ancestors worshiped?”

Jesus replied, “Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

The woman said, “I know the Messiah is coming—the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

Then Jesus told her, “I AM the Messiah!” (John 4:19-26)

Jesus claimed to possess truth. Truth that transcended geography, politics, and traditions.

Where did He get this truth?

He makes a very interesting statement. “You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews.”

How is it that the Jews knew all about God? They studied about Him in their Scriptures. Ceaselessly. They memorized entire books, they wrote passages on their door frames, and they even carried little boxes that contained verses.

They were fascinated about who God was, and what He was like.

What is truth?

Truth is not found in traditions. It is not found in feelings or hunches. It isn’t a democratic process where we get to choose what we like and dismiss what we don’t.

Truth exists just as it did for Jesus, the author of our faith as it does for us. Truth exists in the Scriptures and is unveiled by the Holy Spirit.

Truth can be tested.

There is much I don’t understand about this world: temporal justice, sickness, hatred, war, selfishness, self-righteousness, sin.

Regardless of my feelings, truth continues to define a path not only for me, but for all to follow.

“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” (Psalm 119:105)

Joe

Related Verses
1 Chronicles 10:1-16

Rehoboam went to Shechem, where all Israel had gathered to make him king. When Jeroboam son of Nebat heard of this, he returned from Egypt, for he had fled to Egypt to escape from King Solomon. The leaders of Israel summoned him, and Jeroboam and all Israel went to speak with Rehoboam. “Your father was a hard master,” they said. “Lighten the harsh labor demands and heavy taxes that your father imposed on us. Then we will be your loyal subjects.”

Rehoboam replied, “Come back in three days for my answer.” So the people went away.
Then King Rehoboam discussed the matter with the older men who had counseled his father, Solomon. “What is your advice?” he asked. “How should I answer these people?”

The older counselors replied, “If you are good to these people and do your best to please them and give them a favorable answer, they will always be your loyal subjects.”

But Rehoboam rejected the advice of the older men and instead asked the opinion of the young men who had grown up with him and were now his advisers. “What is your advice?” he asked them. “How should I answer these people who want me to lighten the burdens imposed by my father?”

The young men replied, “This is what you should tell those complainers who want a lighter burden: ‘My little finger is thicker than my father’s waist! Yes, my father laid heavy burdens on you, but I’m going to make them even heavier! My father beat you with whips, but I will beat you with scorpions!’ ”

Three days later Jeroboam and all the people returned to hear Rehoboam’s decision, just as the king had ordered. But Rehoboam spoke harshly to them, for he rejected the advice of the older counselors and followed the counsel of his younger advisers. He told the people, “My father laid heavy burdens on you, but I’m going to make them even heavier! My father beat you with whips, but I will beat you with scorpions!”
So the king paid no attention to the people. This turn of events was the will of God, for it fulfilled the LORD’s message to Jeroboam son of Nebat through the prophet Ahijah from Shiloh.

When all Israel realized that the king had refused to listen to them, they responded,

“Down with the dynasty of David!
We have no interest in the son of Jesse.
Back to your homes, O Israel!
Look out for your own house, O David!”
So all the people of Israel returned home.


John 4:5-26
Eventually he came to the Samaritan village of Sychar, near the field that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there; and Jesus, tired from the long walk, sat wearily beside the well about noontime. Soon a Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to her, “Please give me a drink.” He was alone at the time because his disciples had gone into the village to buy some food.

The woman was surprised, for Jews refuse to have anything to do with Samaritans. She said to Jesus, “You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?”

Jesus replied, “If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.”

“But sir, you don’t have a rope or a bucket,” she said, “and this well is very deep. Where would you get this living water? And besides, do you think you’re greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us this well? How can you offer better water than he and his sons and his animals enjoyed?”

Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”

“Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”

“Go and get your husband,” Jesus told her.

“I don’t have a husband,” the woman replied.

Jesus said, “You’re right! You don’t have a husband—for you have had five husbands, and you aren’t even married to the man you’re living with now. You certainly spoke the truth!”

“Sir,” the woman said, “you must be a prophet. So tell me, why is it that you Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place of worship, while we Samaritans claim it is here at Mount Gerizim, where our ancestors worshiped?”

Jesus replied, “Believe me, dear woman, the time is coming when it will no longer matter whether you worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans know very little about the one you worship, while we Jews know all about him, for salvation comes through the Jews. But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

The woman said, “I know the Messiah is coming—the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

Then Jesus told her, “I AM the Messiah!”


John 16:5-15
“Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.


John 18:33-40
Then Pilate went back into his headquarters and called for Jesus to be brought to him. “Are you the king of the Jews?” he asked him.

Jesus replied, “Is this your own question, or did others tell you about me?”

“Am I a Jew?” Pilate retorted. “Your own people and their leading priests brought you to me for trial. Why? What have you done?”

Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world.”

Pilate said, “So you are a king?”

Jesus responded, “You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.”

“What is truth?” Pilate asked. Then he went out again to the people and told them, “He is not guilty of any crime. But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this ‘King of the Jews’?”

But they shouted back, “No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!” (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)


Psalm 119:97-112
Oh, how I love your instructions!
I think about them all day long.
Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide.
Yes, I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws.
I am even wiser than my elders, for I have kept your commandments.
I have refused to walk on any evil path, so that I may remain obedient to your word.
I haven’t turned away from your regulations, for you have taught me well.
How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.
Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life.

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again:
I will obey your righteous regulations.
I have suffered much, O LORD; restore my life again as you promised.
LORD, accept my offering of praise, and teach me your regulations.
My life constantly hangs in the balance, but I will not stop obeying your instructions.
The wicked have set their traps for me, but I will not turn from your commandments.
Your laws are my treasure; they are my heart’s delight.
I am determined to keep your decrees to the very end.

No comments: