Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thermostats

The snows have turned into rain…another sign that spring is almost upon us. Another sign is that I have begun the daily ritual of balancing our climate control in the house.

A simple primer in heating and cooling is that cold air is denser and thus sinks while warm air is lighter and thus rises.

The first day I moved into Culpeper in late December of 2001 (or should I say “night”; my dad and I got here around 2am) I spent a sleepless night on the floor. Sleepless, because no matter how high I set the heater, I still was freezing on the floor. It was on this night that I saw the practical attributes of sleeping on a bed a few feet above the floor. You see, all the warm air in that apartment stayed in a layer about four feet above the ground.

Alas, had I been able to sleep on the counter, I would have gotten more rest (believe me, I tried…).

Fast forward several years.

Kathy and I have owned a three-story townhouse for several years. Down in the furnace room, there are levers to balance the climate control. During the summer, we set up the system to force as much cold air to the top floor of the house where it will gradually sink and cool down the rest of the house. During the winter, we force warm air through the first two floors and let the heat make its way up to the top floor.

The thermostat is on the second floor so it helps keep an even temperature throughout the house. Whatever we set the thermostat to, the first floor will be 2 degrees cooler and the top floor will be 2 degrees warmer.

It’s really simple.

Except when it’s fall or spring. It’s at these times that temperature can take mad swings resulting in a house that is too cold at some times and too hot at others. Hence the need for balancing the system on a daily basis.

One way to slow down the need to constantly balance the system is to preemptively lower the temperature several hours before bedtime so the warmed up house has a chance to cool down. This requires REMEMBERING to turn the heat down (and there are days that I can’t even remember how old I am).

So, a few months ago, I was at a garage sale and saw a really neat automatic control thermostat that had a back-lighted display for only $2.00. I took the box to the seller and asked what shape it was in. They not only assured me that it was almost new, but they cut the price in half.

I love bargains, so I bought it.

A few days ago, I ran across the box in my garage and decided with spring on its way, I better get it installed.

I opened the box and froze.

I opened the box and I realized that I DIDN’T open the box when I was at that fateful garage sale many months ago or since.

I opened the box and found a “new” dial type manual thermostat that you can get at Walmart for a few bucks. The type that is not programmable (and not even back-lit!).

I should have opened the box BEFORE I bought it.

Have you ever felt like that? You believe something or even act out on good faith that something is going to come through, and it doesn’t? If people or friends have never let you down, then you don’t know enough people. If your car has always run without a hiccup, give it a few more years and another 50,000 miles and get back to me. If you’ve never had your computer die on you, then you own a Mac. But even Macs aren’t perfect (ask anyone with an iPhone).

How do you define dependability? Where can you lay down your life in peace?

Joe

Daniel 3:13-18
Then Nebuchadnezzar flew into a rage and ordered that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego be brought before him. When they were brought in, Nebuchadnezzar said to them, “Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you refuse to serve my gods or to worship the gold statue I have set up? I will give you one more chance to bow down and worship the statue I have made when you hear the sound of the musical instruments. But if you refuse, you will be thrown immediately into the blazing furnace. And then what god will be able to rescue you from my power?”

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.”

Habakkuk 2:18-20
“What good is an idol carved by man, or a cast image that deceives you? How foolish to trust in your own creation— a god that can’t even talk!

What sorrow awaits you who say to wooden idols, ‘Wake up and save us!’ To speechless stone images you say, ‘Rise up and teach us!’

Can an idol tell you what to do? They may be overlaid with gold and silver, but they are lifeless inside. But the LORD is in his holy Temple. Let all the earth be silent before him.”


Proverbs 3:1-10
My child, never forget the things I have taught you. Store my commands in your heart. If you do this, you will live many years, and your life will be satisfying.

Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn away from evil. Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones.

Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine.

No comments: