Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Cardinal's Song

This has been a frigid year for many of us. The winter has dumped more than its fair share of the white stuff around these parts. So much so, that if you want to get people riled up, all you have to say is SN*W. Now while snow’s pretty to look at (that is, until you have to shovel or drive in it), there’s not much that can be done about the C-O-L-D temperatures we’ve experienced the past few months.

Top that with the job losses that continue to mount locally as well as around the country, and things look pretty bleak.

Everybody is looking forward to spring. Everybody.

So imagine my surprise when I opened the door yesterday and heard a scarlet bird singing its heart out. Yes, a cardinal in February!

Spring is on its way!

Every time I see a cardinal, I see a reminder of God’s provision. It doesn’t mean that things are going to go the way I plan them to, but that God’s going to take care of me and my loved ones.

Cardinals to me, are like rainbows to Noah. Whenever times look tough, God sometimes has to poke me a little to get my mind off my circumstances and onto Him. Jesus said, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”

If your eyes are fixed on God, you’ll get everything you need.

What is it that you need as winter comes to a blustery end? What is your heart’s desire? What sign will God share with you that spring indeed is on the way? What words will God whisper to you to calm you in the storm?

Joe


Luke 12:6-7
“What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

Genesis 9:12-17
Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures.

Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.”

Proverbs 12:25
Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.

Matthew 6:25-34
“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

No comments: