Friday, December 3, 2010

Four Christmas Journeys - Part 1

This is the time of year when expectations abound.

Whether it be for the “Perfect Family Christmas”, finding the “Perfect Gift” for someone, or hosting the “Perfect Holiday Party” (whatever ANY of those means is beyond me), we sometimes put impossible demands on ourselves (as well as others) and end up tired and deflated by the time the 26th of December comes around.

Feeling like the torn wrapping paper on our living room floors, we vow never to do it again.

We then faithfully keep that vow until Black Friday next year.

Is THIS what God was thinking about when He planned the birth of the Savior of the World?

For the four weeks of Advent (which is Latin for “coming towards”) I want to share four journeys.

The first week of Advent is about HOPE.

Throughout my growing years, I was optimistic for many things during the Christmas season.

One constant wish (in secret) was to get a remote control airplane. I loved military airplanes; this passion was a flame that was fanned by many trips to air shows with my family. To this day, every time I hear a plane overhead, I instinctively look up to identify it. I wanted to be a pilot, but knew my glasses would forever keep me grounded. However, that didn’t stop me from wishing and hoping to get something that I could fly.

I even remember one Christmas Eve as we were driving to the house of one of my relatives for the BIG PARTY thinking about how great it would be to find that Santa had arrived early to their house and left a large box for me containing a remote control airplane. That vision is so clear to me, that I can remember exactly where we were on the journey when I was struck by it. We had just passed Tropical Park on Miller Road and were getting onto the 826 Expressway. I looked out of the car window at the grove of trees quickly flitting by the darkness and dreamed that it would come true. I could even see myself taking it out of the box.

Santa didn’t come early that year, but I was delighted to receive the next best thing one of those Christmases long ago; a Flying Devils play set which had wire guided planes that went around a control tower.

There are times in all of our journeys where we can look back and honestly say, “I can clearly remember this”. Some are momentous occasions; others seem to revolve around things that are more trivial.

However big or little, they all serve as points along our journey.

This Christmas season, as we journey towards the celebration of hope coming into the world in the form of a defenseless infant; let us take some time to look back on our journey to see how far we’ve come.

For you see, we are closer to our destination.

May God fill you with HOPE this week and may you feel a thrill of delight in the knowledge that He loved us enough to send His Son to save us from ourselves.

Related Verses
Isaiah 60:1-9
“Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see. For the glory of the LORD rises to shine on you. Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the LORD rises and appears over you.

All nations will come to your light; mighty kings will come to see your radiance. “Look and see, for everyone is coming home! Your sons are coming from distant lands; your little daughters will be carried home.

Your eyes will shine, and your heart will thrill with joy, for merchants from around the world will come to you. They will bring you the wealth of many lands.

Vast caravans of camels will converge on you, the camels of Midian and Ephah. The people of Sheba will bring gold and frankincense and will come worshiping the LORD.

The flocks of Kedar will be given to you, and the rams of Nebaioth will be brought for my altars. I will accept their offerings, and I will make my Temple glorious.

“And what do I see flying like clouds to Israel, like doves to their nests? They are ships from the ends of the earth, from lands that trust in me, led by the great ships of Tarshish. They are bringing the people of Israel home from far away, carrying their silver and gold.

They will honor the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has filled you with splendor.

No comments: