Friday, December 17, 2010

Four Christmas Journeys - Part 3

Contrary to what you may have been led to believe from my previous posts, my fondest memories of Christmas have not involved gifts (although they sometimes played a secondary role). Memories of Christmas that have stayed with me have always involved people.

One of my more memorable Christmases was in December of 2001. I had just finished my seminary classes (although I still had a few papers to finish and turn in before they’d give me my diploma) and was preparing to move on from Fort Worth, Texas to my next stop (wherever that would be). As I awaited news from Culpeper Baptist Church about the possibility of being called to serve there in the capacity of Minister to Youth, I got the opportunity to spend time with friends and family in the days leading up to Christmas.

I was able to not only hang out with some of my buddies and former youth, I also had dessert with a special friend from my college years. Kathy Correa and I had defined our relationship as “just friends” numerous times (but I don’t think either of us completely believed it). We had spent many Saturday mornings on the phone as I mopped floors at Wedgwood Baptist Church. I am grateful for the wired headset that allowed me to make all those calls while at work. On Sunday, December 23, 2001, while I was in Miami, Kathy confessed to me (finally!) that she was in love with me. This relationship, seven years in the making, was cemented together over vows just eight months later on August 17, 2002.

Christmas came early for me that year with the greatest gift a person could ever receive.

The gift of love.

True love is not something that can be bartered, sold, or exchanged. It is freely given and is best appreciated when freely received.

This is what makes Christmas such a special time of the year.

We are reminded of God’s gift of love.

God’s love for humanity wrapped in swaddling clothes.

One hymn that has always spoken to me about the depth of this love was penned in the 1700s by Charles Wesley. Here is the 3rd stanza of “And Can it Be?”

He left His Father’s throne above, So free, so infinite His grace—
Emptied Himself of all but love, And bled for Adam’s helpless race:
’Tis mercy all, immense and free, For O my God, it found out me!
’Tis mercy all, immense and free, For O my God, it found out me!


May you also be found out this season. Found out by Peace, by Hope and by Joy.

And found out by Love.

A love that never wavers. A love that inspires and strengthens us to love others as well.

Joe

Related Verses
Isaiah 9:1-7

Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever. The land of Zebulun and Naphtali will be humbled, but there will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, which lies along the road that runs between the Jordan and the sea, will be filled with glory.

The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine. You will enlarge the nation of Israel, and its people will rejoice. They will rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest and like warriors dividing the plunder.

For you will break the yoke of their slavery and lift the heavy burden from their shoulders. You will break the oppressor’s rod, just as you did when you destroyed the army of Midian. The boots of the warrior and the uniforms bloodstained by war will all be burned. They will be fuel for the fire.

For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. His government and its peace will never end. He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David for all eternity.

The passionate commitment of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies will make this happen!

1 Corinthians 13
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! But when full understanding comes, these partial things will become useless.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.

No comments: