Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Delight of Paper Airplanes

Kathy and I drove down to South Florida a few weeks ago to spend Christmas with our families. We were fortunate enough to attend two large family get-togethers within the space of a few hours (it helps to have both of our families within a few miles of each other). We arrived in Miami on Christmas Eve and had just enough time to unpack, shower, and dress before making our way to her grandparents’ house for a Noche Buena (Holy Night) feast. Roast pork and arroz con gandules (Puerto Rican rice) is good for the soul (but not for my cholesterol level). After much laughter and many songs, we hightailed to my sister’s house to open presents.

Traditionally, we would open presents on Christmas morning as a family, but since one of my nephews was leaving early the next day on a ski trip, we decided to forgo tradition and open presents on Christmas Eve around 11:30pm. It is a little known fact that Santa Claus hits South Florida very early as he makes his rounds. Apparently, he already visited my sister’s house while we were all away at our Noche Buena parties, so we each had our full share of loot. I personally don’t believe Santa got upset that we didn’t wait for morning, but we’ll know next year if this ends up putting us on the “naughty” list.

As the piles of wrapping paper grew ever higher, I saw Kathy unwrap a gift that made my jaw drop and lips tremble with emotion.

It was a tiny remote control helicopter.

“What?!” I felt like shrieking (but didn’t).

Kathy, being the sweet and supportive wife that she is, allowed me to drool all over the package before letting me know that I could play with it. She graciously transferred full ownership to me on Christmas morning (which was just as well as my other present hadn’t arrived on time. Santa must’ve taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque).

Brimming with excitement, I read the instructions, perused the repair kit (yes, this thing came with a repair kit), charged the batteries and proceeded to crash it repeatedly.

You see, the instructions clearly stated that this helicopter was for INDOOR USE ONLY, and I had decided to learn to fly it outside...

The tiniest breeze would blow it way off course, leading it into bushes, palm trees, a screen door and our automobile (to name a few hair-raising destinations). The morning sunshine also interfered with the remote control, which relied on InfraRed light (like your tv remote) to send the control signals. At one point, I watched helplessly as the copter soared skyward, higher and higher, oblivious to my control.

Control.

Is control what this is all about?

When we feel we are in control, life seems to go smoothly. But when a wrench gets tossed into our plans, all too often we freak out.

I remember as a child that one of my favorite pastimes was designing and flying paper airplanes. I’d take some notebook paper and meticulously fold it so that everything was symmetrical and the creases were sharp. I’d take it outdoors and walk into the middle of our large backyard.

It was a grassy backyard with most of the trees along the perimeter forming a sort of “second fence” which obscured the old chain link one that kept our neighbors at bay.

It was an EXCELLENT backyard for flying paper airplanes.

I would stand and wait to get a sense for where the wind was coming from. As soon as a breeze picked up, I would face the wind and cast my paper plane directly into it.

It was delightful.

The warm Miami breeze would catch the tiny plane and caress it as it lifted higher and higher. I would stand by, transfixed by the sight of my tiny plane swirling in the invisible flow of air. Sometimes, it would even loop the loop before gently floating down and tumbling upon landing in the prickly blades of grass that would catch hold of it as it returned from the heavens.

I would run over to it, make any needed adjustments, and wait for the next breath of wind to watch it take flight again.

But deep down, I wanted something more.

Despite the amazing and spontaneous aerial ballet, I wished for control.

Control.

The funny thing is, that despite the fact that I now have a device I can direct, I have come to understand that the wind is still in control.

Proverbs 16:9 says, “We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” Proverbs 19:21 is a bit more blunt, “You can make many plans, but the LORD’s purpose will prevail.”

Does this mean we throw out our New Year’s resolutions and do nothing? Of course not! Our eyes must be opened to what the wind is doing, then we must act if we wish to catch a current and soar.

The wind is often used to describe God. It is invisible and mysterious. We cannot see it, however we can see the effects of it.

We CAN see what it's up to.

Tossing a paper airplane into its embrace will result in a graceful flight. Trying to force a tiny helicopter to batter its own way through the currents will result in a spectacular crash.

Have you seen God at work but haven’t yet decided to throw yourself into His embrace?

It will cost us.

The price is control.

What exhilarating flights await us this year?

Joe

Related Verses
John 3:1-21
There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.”

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”

“What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

“How are these things possible?” Nicodemus asked.

Jesus replied, “You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don’t understand these things? I assure you, we tell you what we know and have seen, and yet you won’t believe our testimony. But if you don’t believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven. And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.

“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

“There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.”

NLTse

No comments: