Friday, April 1, 2011

Feathering our Nests

Despite the brief snow we got a few days back, spring is definitely in full bloom. It all began a little over a week ago as trees began to wake up from their winter slumbers.

For those who have never witnessed this miracle, let me describe it: Certain types of trees lose their foliage in autumn. After the leaves “fall” off, the branches are laid bare to the elements. This is how they remain throughout winter; the only clue to life being the tiny buds along every branch and limb. When the time and temperature is right, the buds begin the process of opening.

Kinda like a long stretch after a good night’s rest.

Over the next few days, the trees begin to get a fuzzy look as the stark branches begin to “feather out”. Just after this happens, the trees burst into flower and you’re treated to a wonderful spectacle as you witness life returning to what for so long appeared dead.

Another herald of the spring thaw is the robins. The once frozen ground has loosened up which has resulted in many a worm coming up for a breath of fresh air (and consequently going down the throat of a hungry bird).

Robins are the feathered wolves of my backyard.

As I was on my coffee rounds last Tuesday, I saw a robin with a large chunk of plastic grass in its beak.

Nesting material.

The flowers were just beginning to bloom and this bird was already busy “feathering” its nest.

This made me think about how we feather our own nests.

How much is enough?

I mean, at what point could we say “I have all I need.”?

I remember a few years back daydreaming every time I walked down the steps of my apartment complex. I’d be on my way to get the mail and thought how great it would be to find a check for $50,000 along with the bills. That amount would pay off our car, eliminate our student loans, give us a vacation AND make a hefty down payment on a mortgage.

$50,000 was all I needed.

Well, needless to say, that check never arrived.

Despite this “tragic” fact, we managed to keep a roof over our heads, our bellies filled, and our bills paid. Over the span of a few years, we also were able to pay off our car and student loans, and even save up for a down payment on a house.

After getting the house (along with the accompanying mortgage), $50,000 seems like chump change.

How much would “enough” be now?

And yet, ALL our needs continue to be met.

What would be “enough” for you? At what point could you honestly say, “No thanks, I’ve got plenty.”?

How has God met your needs in the past? What about the present? What does this say about your future needs?

Joe


Proverbs 30:1-9 (NLTse)
The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh contain this message. I am weary, O God; I am weary and worn out, O God. I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense. I have not mastered human wisdom, nor do I know the Holy One.

Who but God goes up to heaven and comes back down? Who holds the wind in his fists? Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak? Who has created the whole wide world? What is his name—and his son’s name? Tell me if you know!

Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection. Do not add to his words, or he may rebuke you and expose you as a liar. O God, I beg two favors from you; let me have them before I die. First, help me never to tell a lie.

Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the LORD?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.


Matthew 6:7-13 (The Message)
“The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best—
as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

No comments: