Friday, April 29, 2011

Time Waits for No One

What do we do with the time we have been given? Everyone gets the same amount each day, so why does it seem that others can accomplish more?

I got into an “efficiency kick” a few days ago. That day was just humming along, filled to the brim with stuff to do, and yet I remained organized and efficient. I had just returned home from the gym and thought “First, I must have my protein shake.”

I stepped into the kitchen, and began to pull out the ingredients with GREAT efficiency. Milk? Check. Ice cream? Check. Protein Powder? Check. I was so pleased with myself that I was being so focused (remember, having ADD doesn’t help in the efficiency department). I dumped the ingredients into our blender and then noticed it wasn’t plugged in. Huh? I plugged it in.

In the following moment, I made two keen observations. (1) I didn’t have the blender’s cap on. And (2), I failed to notice that the blender was already switched on…

The blender EXPLODED into action.

I frantically (and quite inefficiently) yanked the cord out of the socket.

The damage, however, was done.

While I was cleaning up the spillage, I remembered the old axiom that “Haste makes waste”.

There HAS to be some happy medium, I thought, between living in the land of the doldrums (where nothing is ventured nor gained), versus living in a hyperactive and anxiety filled existence (where you get a lot done but burn yourself out).

When we look at the Author and Perfecter of our faith, we quickly notice that Jesus never seemed perplexed or harried. He simply went about His Father’s business.

He was disciplined.

Discipline is neither fun nor easy, but it is essential if we are to grow in our walk with the Lord.

In what ways have we disciplined ourselves to be better stewards of the limited time and resources that God has given us?

In what ways must we improve?

Joe


1 Corinthians 9:24-27
You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.

I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

The Message


John 4:34-38
Then Jesus explained: “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work. You know the saying, ‘Four months between planting and harvest.’ But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest. The harvesters are paid good wages, and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life. What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike! You know the saying, ‘One plants and another harvests.’ And it’s true. I sent you to harvest where you didn’t plant; others had already done the work, and now you will get to gather the harvest.”


Psalm 39:4-7
“LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.”

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.


1 Peter 4:1-11
So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin. You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy—their immorality and lust, their feasting and drunkenness and wild parties, and their terrible worship of idols.

Of course, your former friends are surprised when you no longer plunge into the flood of wild and destructive things they do. So they slander you. But remember that they will have to face God, who will judge everyone, both the living and the dead. That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead—so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit.

The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers. Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay.

God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

NLTse

No comments: