Friday, February 19, 2010

Ash Wednesday

I was privileged to be part of a band once (a very MINOR and temporary part, but part of one nonetheless). I was in college and was trying to teach myself the keyboard when a friend invited me to join his electro/industrial band. The band was called Ash Wednesday. I eventually moved on to devoting my Wednesday afternoons to youth ministry, but remember that brief period of time that I was indeed part of a band. It is just as well that I didn’t stick around because I have ZERO musical talent (Jed was quite patient with my limitations).

Ash Wednesday, the commencement of Lent, was celebrated this week. Growing up Catholic, I remember attending mass and receiving the mark of a cross (ashes mixed with holy water or oil) on my forehead deftly instilled by the thumb of a priest. One Ash Wednesday, I barely remember sitting through a long service when my mother took us outside the sanctuary (muttering something about the service not being a comedy show). One of the priests met us out there and gave us our marks.

Satisfied, Mom took us home.

The mark is a sign of repentance as well as a reminder of our origin and future.

From dust we came, to dust we’ll return.

It is a day for contemplating how absurdly short life is, and to press on to make the most of what God has us here for.

It is the beginning of lent, a 40 day period of fasting and preparation for the observance of Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection.

We all have stuff in our lives that prevent us from fully living the life God intended us to live. Lent is sometimes used as a motivator for some to spend 40 days without a particular vice.

“I’m giving up ________ for Lent.”

But instead of going without a vice for a limited time, what if we spent this time focused on giving up something for good? What if we spent 40 days focused on Jesus and the life He offers instead of “How do I quit ________ for 40 days?”

This lent, let’s not look at temporarily fasting from stuff that causes us spiritual harm, but spending time walking with God and allowing Him to remove those afflictions from us. That which controls us prevents us from living a free life.

May you find the courage to pursue the freedom that Christ offers to you.

Joe

Related Verses
Ezekiel 18:23-32

“Do you think that I like to see wicked people die? says the Sovereign LORD. Of course not! I want them to turn from their wicked ways and live. However, if righteous people turn from their righteous behavior and start doing sinful things and act like other sinners, should they be allowed to live? No, of course not! All their righteous acts will be forgotten, and they will die for their sins.

“Yet you say, ‘The Lord isn’t doing what’s right!’ Listen to me, O people of Israel. Am I the one not doing what’s right, or is it you? When righteous people turn from their righteous behavior and start doing sinful things, they will die for it. Yes, they will die because of their sinful deeds.

And if wicked people turn from their wickedness, obey the law, and do what is just and right, they will save their lives. They will live because they thought it over and decided to turn from their sins. Such people will not die. And yet the people of Israel keep saying, ‘The Lord isn’t doing what’s right!’ O people of Israel, it is you who are not doing what’s right, not I.

“Therefore, I will judge each of you, O people of Israel, according to your actions, says the Sovereign LORD. Repent, and turn from your sins. Don’t let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and find yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don’t want you to die, says the Sovereign LORD. Turn back and live!

Matthew 4:12-17
When Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he left Judea and returned to Galilee. He went first to Nazareth, then left there and moved to Capernaum, beside the Sea of Galilee, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali. This fulfilled what God said through the prophet Isaiah:

“In the land of Zebulun and of Naphtali, beside the sea, beyond the Jordan River, in Galilee where so many Gentiles live, the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light. And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined.”
From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”

No comments: